Wednesday, February 8, 2017

“It's All a Matter of Perspective”: An Introduction to Autism

Hello!

My name is Shambhavi Mishra and I am a senior at BASIS Phoenix. At Basis, students conduct a research project which offers them an opportunity to demonstrate the knowledge and research skills learned and study in the subject area they are passionate about. I have always been interested in studying Autism and the practice of psychiatry which is the focus of my project.

Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) is a complex neurological and developmental disability that can cause social, communication and behavioral challenges. According to the estimates from CDC's Autism and Developmental Disabilities Monitoring, about 1 in 68 children have been diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder. Autism is placed on a spectrum that varies between individuals. The term “spectrum” refers to the wide range of symptoms, skills, and levels of functioning that can occur in people with ASD. Some children and adults with ASD are able to perform all daily life tasks while others require some type of support. As a result, ASD is communicated in a way that varies between individuals; often leaving patients and families uncertain about the genetic and environmental foundations that cause the disorder and the skills necessary for managing it. Understanding ASD is important as it can help educate families, patients and physicians about identifying and managing the disorder.

The goal of my project is to to better understand the experiences of parents with children diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder. My internship is with Southwest Autism Research & Resource Center (SARRC) where I will work with teens diagnosed with Autism and help them improve communication and social skills. When given the chance, I will also observe parent training sessions offered by clinicians. I will also be interviewing families of children with an Autism diagnosis (between the ages of 5-18) through a survey or a personal interview and asking them different questions about their experience of receiving a diagnosis.

Through my research, I hope to raise awareness and increase the public understanding about the disorder and learn more about the way ASD is communicated to families.

For more information about my project, I have attached my proposal here. If you'd like to subscribe there's a link at the bottom of the page. I am very excited to begin my project from tomorrow!

0 comments :

Post a Comment